I have never been known to be the most patient person when it comes to waiting for information. “I WANT TO KNOW NOW!” is quite a common phrase running through my head. It has been almost ten days since I got my acceptance letter and the lack of information about what the coming year holds is starting to bother me. For all of you who are now protesting at me, I understand that there are logistical things still being worked out by CIEE, but I just want to know when I get to know. The ambiguity is killing me.
There have been three big acceptances in my life, in relation to study abroad, in the last ten days or so.
1. I got accepted (the acceptance letter is below)
2. I accepted that I had to “sign my life away” to get there. (The agreement you have to sign for CIEE is like 6 pages long)
3. I have accepted I have to wait. (or am at least trying to accept that fact)
Early Acceptance – Fall 2012 – Spring 2013
CIEE Study Center Spain – Palma
Thank you for applying to the CIEE 2012-2013 Academic Year Palma Liberal Arts program! We have just begun reviewing applications for the coming term. After looking over your application, it is clear that you are hard-working and well-respected by your professors. I’m sure you will make an excellent addition to the program next term.
Congratulations on your acceptance!
This message will act as your acceptance into the program. In early April, you will receive a message with instructions on how to access the Academic Year 2012-2013 online required acceptance forms (student visa information, program calendar, etc). When you receive it, please review the message carefully and follow all instructions given.
In the meantime, here are some things that you can do:
1) Make sure that your passport is valid for at least 6 months after your departure date from Spain. If your passport is expired or valid for less than 6 months, please renew your passport immediately and have the process expedited! You must be in possession a current passport to apply for your Spanish student visa.
2) Information on course listing/registration, program calendar, housing surveys and visa information will be available at a later date. We are confirming final information with the host universities in Spain at this time. Once this information is ready and accessible on your account, you will be notified.
3) I highly recommend that you purchase a good Spain guidebook to help you plan your year abroad. Guidebooks such as Lonely Planet, Insight Guides, Time Out Guides, etc. help provide general country and travel information on Spain and its regions.
Once again, congratulations on your acceptance! I look forward to working with you throughout the enrollment process this spring.
Jensine Fraser – Study Abroad Advisor, Spain: Barcelona, Alicante, Palma de Mallorca